Sunday, October 23, 2011

Life in Georgia


In the past week since my trip to Armenia I haven’t done much, which is probably good for you guys. I tend to write novels when I actually do things. Kenneth started after school English Club at his school, so I walked down there twice this past week to help him out. The rain on Wednesday and Thursday was positively miserable. It rained constantly for 2 days and the temperature never got above 55. We finally lit the stove in the living room to help keep us warm. It’s pretty hard to want to do a lot of things when you just can’t get quite warm enough. Especially if you have a cold nose. My mom would always say that her nose would get cold and then she couldn’t get warm and I finally understand that. Someone really needs to work on making nose hats.

On Friday the weather cleared up and it was beautiful and sunny. The kind of weather that makes you want to be outside. It wasn’t the warmest but the sun is a wonderful thing. After school the power was out at home and my host mom had left to make a trip to Lanchkhuti so I went to Kenneth house. We decided we were going to make pizza again. We had just enough flour but no tomatoes. So his host mom pulled out some stewed tomato and onion thing that we cooked down and added a small can of tomato paste. It is always an adventure cooking and making pizza this time was definitely easier and less messy but it didn’t taste as good. It was still delicious but didn’t rank as highly as the first time. After dinner we were playing darts and they divided us into America and Georgia teams. We lost terribly and that was mostly my fault. I’m pretty bad at darts especially when I don’t get to practice. I was eventually taken home and I went to bed soon after that.

Saturday was a lazy in bed kind of morning. After breakfast we hung the bedding out on the line because it was nice and sunny. They do wash the sheets and things but they also hang the pillows and mattress toppers outside and beat the dust out of them. I guess it keeps things cleaner. Kenneth came over around noon and then we left my house to go somewhere. We didn’t know where we were going but we went anyways. On our walk towards Supsa we got picked up by one of the local cab drivers that was heading back to his house so he didn’t charge us anything. We grabbed a beer at the store his wife manages and I gave our friend Ren a call. She was in Lanchkhuti and told us we should come too. So there we went. We sat in the park and talked some about our Georgia experience. Ren’s friend from the village who speaks English also decided to join us. A little bit later a Peace Corps volunteer who lives in Lanchkhuti also joined us. We went to a little restaurant just across the street from the park in Lanchkhuti and shared some more stories. Someone said that they met a guy in Georgia who had been to 50 countries and he said that he had never been in a place that was quite as weird as Georgia. I think that says a lot about this place. It’s kind of backwards in some ways, it’s very different in other ways and you really can’t explain it. One of these days I’ll post a list of things I’ve learned while in Georgia. Many of you will get a good laugh out of it.

We finally headed back to the village and fortunate for us there is a 6PM marshutka that passes Supsa and goes to our village. It was running late yesterday but I made it home just as it was getting dark outside.

Today is Sunday the 23rd of October and I haven’t done much except write my blog. It’s that novel writing that keeps me busy. Aniko(my host mom) and I went to our neighbor’s house for a little while to take some food because the mother in law is sick. While I was there I ate a piece of candy that was like chocolate covered cherries. I’ll have to find me some more of those. I also just got a call from Kenneth saying that I’ve been invited over for kebabi at his house. Sounds like a plan for me. It will get me out of the house again for a while and that is always a good thing.

 As of today I have one week to decide if I want to extend my contract and stay in Georgia until June. I would still come home for Christmas but then after that I would come back here to finish out a school year. I don’t exactly have anything lined up for me to do at home but everyday I go back and forth between wanting to stay and wanting to go back. It’s really a 50/50 battle but I have to decide and soon. Thoughts from you on the topic would be most appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment