Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Location

I was pretty sure I posted this somewhere but it obviously was not on my blog. If you want to see exactly where I live you can find my village at http://www.openstreetmap.org. In the search bar you will need to type Shromisubani. Under the area where it says results from Geonames you will need to click on the first Shromisubani. It is the one closest to the Black Sea. You can also use the map to see the other places I have visited. I am hoping to be able to go visit another new place this weekend, but we shall see.

Also in my rush to write about going to Batumi I forgot to mention that I went to the beach on Saturday. Ureki has the only true sand beach in all of Georgia. I went there the week before for a meeting with my regional representative. It was very busy in town that day but when I went back on Saturday there was hardly anyone there. It appears the official beach season ends when school begins. Even some of the restaurants there were there the week before had closed shop. Ureki is about 10 kilometers from my village. The sand is black and has supposedly is magnetic. Kenneth and I made an adventure of it. His host dad drove us there. We spent a couple of hours on the beach and then we made our way back to our village after having a snack at a local restaurant that was still open. We got directions from a couple of locals. We ended up taking this one Marshutka(bus) to get us from Ureki to the main highway then we caught another one from there to Supsa. Supsa is the closest town to us. It even has an Internet cafe.

We were going to take another bus from there but decided that we had plenty of time to kill so a walk would be nice. It is at least 4 km to our village from Supsa but that's practically nothing. We were over half way there when my neighbor saw us walking down the road and made us get in his car. Walking anywhere is almost impossible because the second that someone in a car recognizes you they force you to get in their car and they will take you where you want to go. So taking a nice stroll through the village is pretty much out of the question, especially for a girl. Lots more things are also out of the question for a girl in a village. I did appreciate the ride home though. Kenneth stopped in at my house for a bit and my host mother fed us. Food is pretty much guaranteed if a guest comes over. After a bit Kenneth headed to his house and I was left to do what I want for a while. My host mother asked me to help corral the cows into the pen so she could get set up to milk them. Then I had to track down the calf(small cow as my host mom likes to call him) and get him to the pen as well. I watched her milk the cows and she asked me if I knew how. I don't, but I have a feeling I might be learning sometime in the near future. It was an overall good day. I went to bed that night knowing that I would be going to Batumi the next day to see an opera.

1 comment:

  1. So, your Georgia is just like my Georgia - guest=food, even if it's just dessert! I grew up on the farm, and never got the hang of milking the cow. The brothers always got that job. Good luck with the milking. How is teaching?

    ReplyDelete